Pear Stuffinghttps://www.farmhandorganics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pear-Stuffing.png 600 849 Farmhand Organics Farmhand Organics https://www.farmhandorganics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pear-Stuffing.png
A delicious take on stuffing – sweet, savory and beautiful on the Thanksgiving table!
This mouth-watering pear stuffing recipe beautiful photography is thanks to the talented Nazneen over at Coffee & Crumpets. She got her hands on our Simply Pears and ran it. We love the combination of sweet and savoury in this dish and know you will too!
- 2 jars Farmhand Organics Simply Pears
- 2 cups sliced leeks, about 3 medium, white and light green parts
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1½ cups pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 10 cups bread cubes, good quality
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup pear syrup from the jar
- ½ cup heavy cream, optional
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Few tablespoons of turkey drippings
- If you are using fresh bread cubes, allow to dry out overnight or place in the oven on a sheet pan and dry out at 325F/150C for about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, melt the butter.
- Add the leeks and allow to soften
- Add the celery and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the sage and rosemary and cook for two minutes or so.
- Place the cooked mixture into a big bowl.
- Add the cubes of bread and toss with the vegetables, allowing the butter to coat the bread.
- Sprinkle the pear syrup over the top the bread and toss.
- Add the heavy cream if using and toss again.
- Moisten the bread cubes with enough chicken broth as needed.
- Some people like the stuffing drier so you can adjust how much broth you add.
- If you like the stuffing more soft, add all the broth and add more pear syrup or cream if needed.
- Allow the cubes of bread to sit and soak the liquid for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the papers into bite size chunks and mix into the bread mixture.
- I chopped mine the same size as my bread chunks to give a more rustic looking dish.
- Add 1 cup of the pomegranate arils to the stuffing and mix through.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- Grease or spray a 9 x13 roasting tin or glass dish.
- Pour in the stuffing mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Place the stuffing in the oven for about 45-55 minutes or until nicely brown and the liquid has all been absorbed.
- After it is baked, if you wish, pour the turkey drippings through the stuffing, and add the remaining pomegranate arils before serving.
- If stuffing the bird, place the stuffing in the cavity and follow turkey cooking directions.
- Bake the rest alongside, following directions above.
*NOTES: The heavy cream is optional but it does add a nice bread pudding type texture to the stuffing. If you don’t like it too soft then you can omit it and add extra chicken broth to moisten.