New World Latkeshttps://www.farmhandorganics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/New-World-Latkes.png 501 367 Farmhand Fermented Foods Farmhand Fermented Foods https://www.farmhandorganics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/New-World-Latkes.png
This recipe was featured on NPR a few years ago in a discussion about the large Jewish population in Mexico City. We added some Farmhand Organics pickled peppers, served with Jonny Applesauce and Pear Sauce and what was once a Passover treat became a staple. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from National Public Radio and Chef Julian Medina
Image courtesy of Epicurious
12 pieces (2 per person)
- 2 Large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ cup Matzo meal
- 1 jar Farmhand Organics Hot or Medium Pickled Peppers
- 1 t Kosher salt
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 Jar Jonny Applesauce or Pear Sauce
- Sour Cream (optional)
HOW TO MAKE:
1) Using a box grater, coarsely grate the potatoes into a medium-size bowl. Add the egg yolk, peppers, salt, and matzo meal; mix well and let cool in the refrigerator for five minutes to allow ingredients to bind.
2) Remove bowl from refrigerator and drain off any excess liquid.
3) Over a medium flame, heat ½ cup olive oil in a 10-inch skillet until hot but not smoking. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture at a time and place into the pan, being careful not to crowd the latkes. Cook each latke until golden brown on both sides (approximately five minutes total).
4) Transfer latkes to a paper-towel-lined plate, add additional salt if desired. Add ¼ to ½ cup of olive oil (if needed) to pan and repeat process with remaining latke mixture. Keeping a good layer of olive oil in there really improves the flavor
5) Serve immediately, topped with Pear Sauce or Jonny Applesauce and sour cream